What is iovera°?
iovera° is a safe, innovative pain relief treatment. It uses extreme cold to stop nerves from sending pain signals to your brain. This effect is immediate, and can last 90 days.
The iovera° system is a handheld device that lets your doctor apply just the right amount of extreme cold only to the nerves they want to target—the ones causing you pain. This process delivers immediate pain relief in the time it takes for a routine doctor’s visit, and it doesn’t hurt. iovera° does not contain medicine. iovera° treatment is safe and does not damage or destroy any surrounding tissue.
Who can benefit from iovera° treatment?
iovera° is a treatment for:
People who have osteoarthritis (OA) pain in the knee
People who are considering knee replacement surgery (iovera° can be used before surgery)
People who have been avoiding surgery due to fear or another reason
People who are not candidates for surgery but need pain relief
People who have pain in other areas, such as the hip, shoulder, chest, foot and ankle, spine, and more
OA knee pain
In a clinical trial, iovera° helped people with OA achieve pain relief, better physical function, and reduced stiffness.
Ask your doctor about iovera° if you haven’t found OA pain relief from other treatments, such as:
- NSAIDs (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, like ibuprofen and naproxen)
- Opioids (prescription pain relievers, including hydrocodone and oxycodone)
- Injections (cortisone shots), hyaluronic acid, platelet-rich plasma (PRP)
Knee replacement surgery
iovera° treatment can be given before or after surgery to make recovery easier and less painful. iovera° has been shown to relieve pain, improve range of motion, and reduce opioid use following surgery.
Consider iovera° if:
- You wish to delay surgery for a short time, such as until after an event or season
- You have risk factors that need to be addressed before surgery
- You and your doctor are developing a rehabilitation and physical therapy plan that should not be hindered by pain